I accomplished my first skirt for Lillian and LOVE it! It was Prudent Baby’s tutorial for a layer cake skirt.
I bought the three fabrics at Hobby Lobby and it actually ended up that the green fabric didn’t really show up. I guess that is what happens when you adjust a skirt to fit an almost 2 year old that only wears 18 month clothes. I ended up using the green fabric for the diaper cover…post to come later.
After some calculating based off of the tutorial, I used the following measurements, which are pretty close to what I would consider 18 month clothes (it’s for a little girl that needs the skirt to be about 8 inches long and with a waist measurement of 17 1/2 (if you use the 16 1/2 for the elastic)).
Elastic: 17 1/2 in but should have been 16 1/2 in (luckily it still fits!) I actually cut my elastic an inch shorter than the measurement of the waist because I do not overlap it.
Top Layer (green)”: (1) 3 1/4 x 42
Middle Layer (flowers): (1) 3 3/4 x 42 (1) 3 3/4 x 21
Bottom Layer (circles): (2) 4 3/4 x 42
The hem was sewn at 3/8 in and I basted at 1/4 in but my needle was at position 4 which makes it a little less and then I sewed the layers together at 3/8.
I left the selvage edge and just made sure to sew in far enough so that it did not show on the outside. This way, I had less edge stitching, which is fantastic since I don’t have a serger.
Basting…well, it’s a pain, actually, it’s not the basting that is a pain, but the gathering. It seemed to take forever to get the layer equal to the length of the layer above it. But, it’s well worth the time, because the skirt is adorable!
At first it was a little weird to sew the two pieces together because I have never sewn two pieces together that weren’t completely flat. You don’t need to feel like it has to be perfect because it will look fantastic on the ride side of the fabric anyway.
As I mentioned above, I don’t have a serger, but I do have an overlock foot. This foot is what I used to finish the edges. I know that I could just do a zigzag stitch but with the overlock foot it pretty much looks the same as it would if it were serged. It takes awhile to finish the edge this way, but I think it’s worth it. There is less room for fraying.
Here is the skirt before prepping for the elastic.
Again, as I mentioned above, I cut my elastic an inch shorter than I need it. I then attach each end to a piece of cotton fabric. This way, the elastic lays completely flat but with it attached to the cotton it will still remain in place as if it were a complete circle.
Lillian let me put the skirt on her right away (which is an improvement over the drawstring bag that I made) and decided that it was snack time.
This skirt, even though it looks complicating, is actually very easy to make. If you want to make it and need help figuring out the measurements for your little girl, let me know and I will try to help out.